I have no idea what the real name of these cookies are. My grandma was the cookie queen at Christmas many years ago when I was growing up. She would make tins and tins of cookies – chocolate chip, molasses crinkle, sugar cookie, something called Anise cookie (yuck, my Dad’s favorite, not mine) , peanut butter – so many cookies! We would eat them for what seemed like weeks and then we would return the tins so she could make some more the next year.
MY favorite though, were these. The cookies with the chocolate top. Sweet buttery shortbread goodness with a bite of chocolate – sooooo good! As a kid anything with chocolate in it was a favorite, but these have stood the test of time. I still make these at Christmas and still sigh just a little when I take my first bite! The perfect treat with a glass of cold milk.
Now enjoy what sweet goodness the rest of our food blog circle has for this month. Next up is Alicia Ackerman!
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- Mix 1st 4 ingrediants until smooth.
- Work in flour.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until edges are slightly brown.
- Cool cookies completely. When cookies are cool, melt bag of chocolate chips in double boiler. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat but keep chocolate over warm water. Dip cookie in warm chocolate.
- Allow chocolate to cool on cookies.